Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gracias! November Highlights

It’s December and my official close of service Is January 20th. I’m not gonna lie, I’m totally freaking out. I have so much to do before I’m done. Besides all the PC BS paperwork I have to do (for the second time) I have to finish the World Map Project with my kids, plan a Christmas pageant for the school and rehearse it with my students, have a bunch of despedidas (going away parties) and find a decent truck to drive around South America in; plus I would like some time to reflect on my service as well as think about what I want for my future, all heavy emotional stuff.
But before we fast forward to January let’s rewind a bit. I want to share my best moments from the month of November, the things I’m most thankful for because Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday and it’s not the same spending it away from your family. Still, lots of good things happened and I’m always grateful to have the opportunity to be here doing what I’m doing. Wow, it must be Christmas time if I’m acting this sappy.
Andres comes to visit!
Andrew basically brought a candy store with him. Things I haven’t had in forever like airheads and starbursts, enough goodies to share with the whole town! I had a fish cookout with my friends in his honor, later we cleared the table to make a mini dance floor and campo boogied the night away. There was no running water in my site but we saw a lot of water. Laguna de Cube, Puerto Quito, and the beach! The absolute highlight was Andrew getting a shaman cleansing. I took him to n internationally famous healer, of course. He started by spitting a mystery liquid all over him. He looked completely terrified and I really had to struggle to keep from laughing. It’s one the greatest things I’ve ever seen, I hope it worked!

Boobies! I spent Thanksgiving at the beach in Puerto Lopez and went to Isla de la Plata (aka the poor man’s Galapagos.) I finally got to see blue footed boobies and they’re awesome! They are reproducing right now so most of them are coupling off or already have eggs to protect.
Both the males and females protect the eggs, one protects while the other gets food. They make a circle of their poop to mark their territory.
The females are bigger than the males.
Los frailes, a nearby beach that is part of the national park system was the most peaceful and pristine beach I’ve seen.
Sulfur baths, stinky but refreshing.

My house is a magnet for baby animals. Puppies and kittens think my house is their personal playground. I’m taking care of Pati’s puppy and Fresa is finally learning to share (a little, she is way too spoiled.)

Halloween’s in October but it’s practically November. David as Aladdin, Fresa as Apu, me as Jasmine.

Ecuador is full of waterfalls and they’re nice to look at, even when they completely drench you.

No comments: